Instructors may require your exam to be proctored, or monitored, in a public location. We facilitate the proctoring process for online distance students and will proctor exams from other schools and programs. However, distance students will need to work with individual proctors/centers on specific charges or fees.
NOTE: If the exam you need to take is NOT an academic exam for an Iowa State course please use the form provided; otherwise proceed to “Finding a Proctor” below.
1. Find a Proctor
2. Communicate with your Proctor
- You should share your ISU Net ID (this is the portion of your Iowa State email address prior to the @), the course name(s) and number(s), and the exam format (written, online, etc.)
- Proctors must have access to the Internet, official email account (not Hotmail, gmail accounts etc.), static IP address for student and proctor computers.
- For written exams, the proctor needs access to a printer and scanner or fax machine.
- If he/she is proctoring multiple courses, each course needs to be added to the proctoring system by selecting the CTRL key.
- For each course, it is assumed proctors will administer ALL exams for the course.
- Proctors must be renewed each semester for each course.
3. Take my Exam
- Emails will be sent to student and proctor confirming the approval.
- Immediately upon receipt, students should verify their proctor has received an email and notify the ISU testing center of any problems.
- When the exam is released by the instructor, you and your proctor will be emailed exam instructions.
- Arrange a time to take the exam with your proctor.
What if you need a substitute proctor?