Instructors may require your exam to be proctored, or monitored, in a public location. We facilitate the proctoring process for online distance students and will proctor exams from other schools and programs. However, distance students will need to work with individual proctors/centers on specific charges or fees.
If you are taking a course through another college and need a proctor for non-Iowa State University exams please use the form provided.
Here’s how to get started!
What does your proctor need to know?
- You should share your ISU Net ID (this is the portion of your Iowa State email address prior to the @), the course name(s) and number(s), and the exam format (written, online, etc.)
- Proctors must have access to the Internet, official email account (not Hotmail, gmail accounts etc.), static IP address for student and proctor computers.
- For written exams, the proctor needs access to a printer and scanner or fax machine.
- If he/she is proctoring multiple courses, each course needs to be added to the proctoring system by selecting the CTRL key.
- For each course, it is assumed proctors will administer ALL exams for the course.
What if you need a substitute proctor?
- Your proctor is not available: check if another person in the same office can substitute; if so, send their email to the ISU Testing Center.
- You are away from your proctor: use the normal process to get temporary proctor approval. Contact us when you are ready to reinstate your proctor.
What happens after I have registered my proctor?
- Emails will be sent to student and proctor confirming the approval.
- Immediately upon receipt, Students should verify their proctor has received an email and notify the ISU testing center of any problems.
- When the exam is released by the instructor, you and your proctor will be emailed exam instructions.
- Arrange a time to take the exam with your proctor.